Sunday, August 27, 2023

Sunday Scaries #2

 August 27, 2023


Another Sunday! and another day where it is late in the day, but I don't feel completely ready for the week. I've got tomorrow - since it is a repeat of Friday. But I haven't really planned the rest. Sigh!

I did remember that thing that I wanted to try - apparently, I moved into my newly created "things to try this year" folder. Ha! Forgot about that. Anyway, it was the Polar Bear and Seals activity with dice. Kids roll the dice, and I tell them how many polar bears and seals. Then they have to figure out the rules. I completely messed up in the first class - I couldn't do the simple math. But I got into it for the next class. In the third class, it was a struggle - that class is going to be tough with many needy kids. Basically, kids couldn't figure it out and they checked out. It was funny when one kid realized the face I made when doing simple arithmetic in my head. "She is doing math!" Also, there were several sets of pairs that could not work together. But the final class got it. There was such joy and cheers when each group figured out the answer. This is why I teach.

Cycle 1, Day 3 - Of course, instead of just using what I created the year before, I decided to redesign what I had and create a "Lab Notebook" That meant a long night and making it perfect. It seemed to go well in the first 2 classes, so I am glad I did the work. But still.....

No comments:

Post a Comment